This Blog Has Moved!

Right, so yes, five years ago I moved to github pages, and never bothered to redirect any of these pages there. Now I've moved on from there, and... Finally I am using my real domain, trishagee.com . My blog is now at trishagee.com/blog .  See you there!

New Disruptor Presentation Unveiled to the LJC!

A few weeks ago, I presented my new "User's Guide to the Disruptor" talk to the London Java Community.  Since it was very kindly hosted at Skillsmatter, there is a video of the presentation available, and the slides are below.


The presentation is a little different to the ones we've done before.  Previously we've gone into how it works and why it's fast.  This time I wanted to step back a little from the internals and show how real developers might actually use it.  The example is somewhat contrived, but the idea is to give some hints on how to break your problem down into something that will work with a Disruptor at the heart of it.

I thought the event went really well.  It was a tiny bit completely intimidating, as there were no lightning talks and I was the only attraction.  Seeing over a hundred people turn up after work, before beer, to hear you talk is a humbling experience.  Fortunately, I think the audience was perfect for the presentation - they had heard of the Disruptor but hadn't seen anything very detailed about it, so my walkthrough of how you might use it seemed to go down well.  I certainly got a lot of very sensible questions (which hopefully I've remembered to repeat for the benefit of the recording), and people had some good ideas about how and when to use it.

I ran the same presentation to a different audience at QCon London a week later, I'll post a link to that if/when it becomes available.

Comments

  1. Hi Trisha, Any chance on posting some links to resources on using multiple producers with the disruptor? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,

      Apart from any examples in the Disruptor perf tests, I'm not aware that we have any. I'm sure this question has come up on the Google groups list so I would check there first.

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    I have a problem to start the video - on Vimeo have this message:

    "
    Permission Denied
    This is a private video. Do you have permission to watch it? If you do, please first log in to Vimeo to watch this video.
    "

    regards,
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel, the video is not private, all the Skillsmatter videos should be viewable publicly. Maybe the site was down for maintenance when you tried? I've just checked and it seems fine, but I was watching it via the skillsmatter site and not Vimeo directly.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments have been disabled since this blog is no longer active.

Popular posts from this blog

Dissecting the Disruptor: What's so special about a ring buffer?

Dissecting the Disruptor: Writing to the ring buffer

Dissecting the Disruptor: Why it's so fast (part one) - Locks Are Bad